Subject: Re: BIND-8.4.3 for netbsd-1-6 (was: CVS commit: src/dist/bind)
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: current-users
Date: 12/03/2003 15:41:11
[ On Tuesday, December 2, 2003 at 16:55:21 (-0800), Chuck Yerkes wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: CVS commit: src/dist/bind
>
> Which leaves me with "why is BIND 8 still part of NetBSD?"
>
> Invalid reasons include "it's proven"  (yes, and orphaned now too)
> It's not longer supported; it's missing several Good Things.

Well, BIND-9 is also still missing critical (to me) things.

The most notable is the logging and tracking of the source of all cached
values.  I rely on having access to this information almost daily in the
BIND-8 caching resolvers I manage -- it makes debugging much _much_ easier.

(and there is an arguably much better authoritative-only server
available to use in place of the monster BIND-9 has become:  net/nsd)

As for why I asked in the first place:  named is "just an application",
and the 8.4.3 version is just as well proven in NetBSD environments,
including netbsd-1-6, as 8.3.7 is.  There's no valid technical reason I
can see, and none has been offered to date, for not pulling 8.4.3 up
into netbsd-1-6, even this close to the end of the release cycle.  If
8.3.7 could be pulled up then 8.4.3 could, and should, be pulled up
instead.

--
						Greg A. Woods