Subject: Re: CVS commit: src/dist/bind
To: George Michaelson <ggm@apnic.net>
From: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: current-users
Date: 12/02/2003 17:18:15
Thus spake George Michaelson ("GM> ") sometime Tomorrow...

GM> > Which leaves me with "why is BIND 8 still part of NetBSD?"
GM>
GM> for the same reasons the install makes a split / and /usr :-*

Slightly off-topic:

Sorry, I find split / and /usr (and /var and...) far more useful than
I perceive BIND-8 to be.  (I just haven't upgraded yet.  I want to --
ddns is very appealing...)

GM> > If you're not doing mail blasts or running AOL's DNS, you likely
GM> > don't care (and frankly, if you are, a 4CPU machine with 8GB of
GM> > RAM will perform better with BIND9 and still costs less than a week
GM> > of a really good consultant).

WAY off-topic:

I'd like to know who's paying consultants that much and what I need to do
to become one, since if I could afford that kind of hardware after a week,
I could probably pay my mortgage off in a year.

Returning to topic, sort of:
If a DNS server *requires* 4CPUs and 8GB of RAM to perform at blinding
speeds, or even if such a configuration is recommended for DNS, something
is very wrong.

				--*greywolf;
--
NetBSD: Dave Barry is working on our motto.