Subject: Re: CVS commit: src/dist/bind
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Chuck Yerkes <chuck+nbsd@2003.snew.com>
List: current-users
Date: 12/02/2003 16:55:21
Quoting Rick Kelly (rmk@toad.rmkhome.com):
> Chuck Yerkes said:
>
> >Me?  I bailed on BIND 8 long ago and run BIND 9 in a chroot.
> >OpenBSD added some nice patches which do things like open /dev/null
> >and /dev/zero BEFORE chrooting so I don't really need much in
> >that env.
>
> Yup, I've been running BIND 9 for about two years now. I'm currently
> running BIND 9.2.3 on an SS5 running 1.5.4_ALPHA.

Which leaves me with "why is BIND 8 still part of NetBSD?"

Invalid reasons include "it's proven"  (yes, and orphaned now too)
It's not longer supported; it's missing several Good Things.  BIND 9
*is* slower (bind 4 is fastest, djdns is next, then BIND8 then BIND 9).

If you're not doing mail blasts or running AOL's DNS, you likely
don't care (and frankly, if you are, a 4CPU machine with 8GB of
RAM will perform better with BIND9 and still costs less than a week
of a really good consultant).