Subject: Re: LKM kernel version mismatch
To: Andrew Brown <atatat@atatdot.net>
From: Robert Elz <kre@munnari.OZ.AU>
List: current-users
Date: 12/01/2003 22:07:17
    Date:        Mon, 1 Dec 2003 08:38:42 -0500
    From:        Andrew Brown <atatat@atatdot.net>

  | um...yeah, though i would expect that if *that* changed, the version
  | of the lkm interface would refuse to load *any* module, not just those
  | that are three days too old...

No, it would still load anything built after the change.   On the other
hand if yours was from 3 days before the change, then ...

lha@stacken.kth.se said:
  | I think you are complaning about the wrong thing. The problem I see is that
  | the version number is not related (well maybe, is it) to the kernel ABI for
  | release branches, while its most certainly is for current/HEAD.

No, he's really complaining about the lack of granularity available.
If struct tty changes, then a kernel version bump would be needed (some
LKMs may care about that -in fact, it is quite likely) - but that
will mean all LKM's fail to load (normally), even (say) an LKM for an
ethernet driver, which wouldn't go anywhere near struct tty.

Slightly finer granularity would probably appease most people.  Personally,
I don't care, my kernels don't include "options LKM" ...

kre