Subject: Re: LKM kernel version mismatch
To: Jaromir Dolecek <jdolecek@NetBSD.org>
From: Andrew Brown <atatat@atatdot.net>
List: current-users
Date: 12/01/2003 08:52:57
>> is there any easy way of disabling it?  or making an lkm that will
>> load more "easily"?
>
>How do you determine what's 'safe' and what not? Once you
>dereference any kernel struct pointer (e.g. struct proc or struct lwp),
>there is incompatibility. Obviously it's not possible for a LKM
>to do anything useful and be ABI safe.

i'll buy that, but i'm not *doing* any of that.  at all.  that's my
point.  i can completely pigeonhole the api that i'm using.

>If you really know what you are doing and you are 100% positive
>it's safe, you can use modload -f. Be prepared for panics in that
>case, which will be caused by the incompatible LKM.

okay, that works, except it prints stuff.  :)

for some reason, it didn't seem to work the first time i tried it, so
i didn't think of that this time around.

maybe i'll just make my own kernel option to disable the check...

--
|-----< "CODE WARRIOR" >-----|
werdna@squooshy.com       * "information is power -- share the wealth."