Subject: Re: LKM kernel version mismatch
To: Andrew Brown <atatat@atatdot.net>
From: Robert Elz <kre@munnari.OZ.AU>
List: current-users
Date: 12/01/2003 15:57:10
    Date:        Sun, 30 Nov 2003 20:57:05 -0500
    From:        Andrew Brown <atatat@atatdot.net>

  | it installs a syscall that ignores all its arguments,
  | does nothing else, and then returns.  all so that i have one.  it,
  | therefore, *CANNOT* fail to match any api in the kernel, because it
  | doesn't use any.

Hmm?   Isn't there an API in the kernel being used to install a new syscall?

While I don't much believe in LKMs for available source systems, I do
however understand what you're requesting I think - that is, a more finely
grained way to tell just what API may have altered, so LKMs could
determine whether they will still work, or need to be recompiled.  The
current "nothing has changed" (which is often a lie anyway), or "anything
might have changed" is a little crude.

kre