Subject: Re: SCO will soon be going after BSD
To: None <netbsd99@sudog.com>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: current-users
Date: 11/20/2003 12:45:00
On Thu, Nov 20, 2003 at 08:46:36AM -0800, netbsd99@sudog.com wrote:
> On Wednesday 19 November 2003 20:06, Rick Kelly wrote:
>
> > It is pretty much all moot now as the "encumbered" code has been
> > released under the BSD copyright by Caldera/SCO.
>
> If that's the case, then why are there still holes in the NetBSD CVS
> tree, from people manually removing "encumbered" files? Why not restore
> these holes now if that's the case?

When's the last time you actually needed to _use_ one of those revisions?
The agreement with USL required us to no longer distribute a specific set of
files that had been at issue during the lawsuit, so we do not distribute
them.  The agreement itself is confidential, at USL's long-ago insistence,
so we cannot really discuss it further than that -- but you may rest assured
that there is nothing in NetBSD that we are not fully entitled to distribute
(and that, when any such question arises, we will, as we always have,
protect you by erring on the side of caution).

Some might interpret the release of 32V et. al by Caldera under a BSD-style
license as entitling us to restore certain revisions in our CVS repository.
We have noted that, essentially, nobody ever _uses_ those revisions (in 8
years as a NetBSD developer, I've needed to use one of them exactly _once_)
and decided that the issue isn't even really worth our attention; why spread
confusion at such a critical juncture?

FreeBSD did essentially the same thing when they re-rooted their tree at
4.4BSD-lite, by the way, except that they lost far, far more revision history
than we did.  That's why their tree doesn't look like it has "holes" in it:
*every* revision of *every* file before a certain date is gone; they erased
the repository and started over.