Subject: Re: build.sh environment, where to put ?
To: emanuel stiebler <emu@ecubics.com>
From: Luke Mewburn <lukem@NetBSD.org>
List: current-users
Date: 11/20/2003 15:32:37
On Wed, Nov 19, 2003 at 09:25:34AM -0700, emanuel stiebler wrote:
  | Hi all,
  | I usually put all my variables (DESTDIR, BSDOBJDIR,TOOLDIR) in my .cshrc
  | startup.
  | Is there a better location for those ?
  | Any of the bsd.mk, or ... ?
  | Just asking if anything, or a preference changed ...

The only variables I set in my environment are
	MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX	(doesn't work in mk.conf anyway)
	MACHINE			(for convenience)
	TOOLDIR			(not really necessary)
(I have a shell alias which sets MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX & MACHINE based on
an argument, so I have separate obj trees per MACHINE build)

I set the following in mk.conf:
	MKUNPRIVED=yes
	MKUPDATE=yes
	OBJMACHINE=

build.sh provides reasonable defaults for DESTDIR, RELEASEDIR (etc),
and there's absolutely no need to set BSDOBJDIR if using
MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX or MAKEOBJDIR.

In short, "whatever works".

Note that you can't set MAKEOBJDIR or MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX in mk.conf,
only in the environment.