Subject: Re: USB Wlan-Adapter w/ Prism3???
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.org>
From: David Young <dyoung@pobox.com>
List: current-users
Date: 11/17/2003 16:42:07
On Mon, Nov 17, 2003 at 10:51:28PM +0100, Kurt Schreiner wrote:
> I'm thinking on adding a WLAN-adapter to my new Shuttle-box. The most elegant
> solution would be the WP11-Module sold by Shuttle. This is an USB WLAN Adapter
> based on the prism3 chip. Any chance on getting this going unter NetBSD?

No fewer than two people have told me that they would work on a USB
front-end for wi(4) on NetBSD, but I don't think they really are.

Recently someone added a USB front-end to wi(4) in OpenBSD. I think
it is a good place to start. Note that NetBSD's wi(4) has diverged
substantially from OpenBSD's.

I was surprised that OpenBSD did not fixed the long-standing problem
of wi(4)'s lengthy delay loops, which IMHO is a logical first step
toward a USB front-end.  See wi_cmd_io (NetBSD: wi_cmd), for example:
I would prefer that we tsleep until a command-complete interrupt occurs,
as wi_cmd_usb does, instead of looping.

Dave