Subject: location of soundcard.h
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.org>
From: grant beattie <grant@NetBSD.org>
List: current-users
Date: 11/15/2003 15:34:38
hi all,

are there any objections to moving soundcard.h from /usr/include
into /usr/include/sys?

the reason I ask is because numerous times when working on packages
which need to work on various platforms, the task is made more
difficult because the location of soundcard.h is not where 99% of
programs developed on Linux expect it to be.

since the whole point of soundcard.h is to provide an OSS-compatible
interface, having it in the "wrong" location seems counter-productive.
this inherently makes our OSS interface less compatible with Linux
and FreeBSD.

perhaps it could be installed it into sys/ and have a symlink in
/usr/include?

g.