Subject: Re: usr/src/xsrc/make build fails
To: Jakob Strebel <mail@teamstrebel.ch>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: current-users
Date: 11/14/2003 08:04:48
On Fri, 14 Nov 2003, Jakob Strebel wrote:

> >On Fri, Nov 14, 2003 at 10:21:10AM +0100, Jakob Strebel wrote:
> > > It seems that /usr/pkgsrc/XF86Setup does not like the new environment.
> >
> >It is obsolete for XFree 4.3 - you should use "X -configure" instead.
>
> This is clear to me that "current" /usr/xsrc is on Version 4.3.0
>
> It was more a comment to indicate to others who are not (yet) that deep
> into netBSD like me that the sources on pkgsrc are in this case not that up
> to date.

"pkgsrc" still has to support ports that haven't switch to XFree86-4
(mac68k, and so on), and even after they've switched, it'll have to
support older NetBSD releases for a while. It's not hurting anything
to have it there; if you don't need it, don't use it.

> BTW: what is the difference between "userland" and "current"

"userland" is the programs that ship with the base system, as opposed
to the kernel. "kernel" and "userland" are all on the same CVS, and
are managed and released together, unlike "pkgsrc", which supports
multiple releases of NetBSD, and even completely different OS's.

"current" is the HEAD of the CVS tree, as opposed to the release
branches, such as netbsd-1-6. NetBSD 1.6, NetBSD 1.6.1, NetBSD
1.6.2_RC2, are all points on netbsd-1-6. Points on current are rarely
tagged. The formal releases, these days, are all points on the release
branches. The release branches consist entirely of pull-ups from the
HEAD; no original work is allowed on the release branches. This
differs from the way some other other projects use CVS. XFree86, for
instance, puts all the original work on vendor branches; their release
branch is the HEAD.

Frederick