Subject: Re: Can't open /dev/vinum/control: Device not configured
To: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
From: Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
List: current-users
Date: 11/13/2003 11:33:37
On Wednesday, 12 November 2003 at 18:32:09 -0500, Thor Lancelot Simon wrote:

>>> Ok, I figure these numbers are defined somewhere else than /sys/dev/vinum or
>>> /sys/sbin/vinum and my kernel being out of sync to the userland is an issue
>>> here.
>>
>> Yes, that's the problem.  You'll need to rebuild vinum(8).
>
> Why does the vinum executable have special knowledge of the device
> *number* for Vinum, rather than using filesystem naming?  That seems
> like a severe bug.

That's a matter of opinion.  Others see the creation of device nodes
with scripts like MAKEDEV as a bug.  vinum(8) creates devices
dynamically, so it needs to know the major number.  Yes, you could
create /dev/vinum/control with MAKEDEV, but vinum allows you to create
volumes dynamically, and they need a device number.

If people think that this is too tacky, there's a compromise: have
MAKEDEV create /dev/vinum/control, and have vinum create the volumes
with the same major number.

Thoughts?

Greg