Subject: Re: Can't open /dev/vinum/control: Device not configured
To: None <TeCeEm@gmx.de>
From: Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog@NetBSD.org>
List: current-users
Date: 11/12/2003 16:44:18
--ORQ7wZOtrZMMlBRp

On Wednesday, 12 November 2003 at  5:56:34 +0100, TeCeEm@gmx.de wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> after failure to use RAIDframe successfully even with -current - I managed
> to fill over 50GB via samba when it locked up again, see tech-kern - I decided
> to try vinum.
>
> After compiling an appropriate kernel all I get is:
>
> # vinum info
> Can't open /dev/vinum/control: Device not configured
> # ls -l /dev/vinum/
> total 14
> crw-------  1 root  wheel  108, 262142 Nov 12 05:30 control

Hmm.  This looks like a victim of the change of major device number.
Vinum now has major number 162.  Try rm -rf /dev/vinum and see if it
works like that.

Note that a number of features described in the man page haven't been
implemented yet.  In particular, the 'start' command without
parameters (which should scan all disks in the system for Vinum
partitions) hasn't been implemented yet.  If anybody's interested,
take a look at the FreeBSD code: it's mainly a matter of swapping
sysctls.

Greg

--ORQ7wZOtrZMMlBRp

--ORQ7wZOtrZMMlBRp--