Subject: Re: Anyone got ATAPI tape drives to work?
To: Bert Kiers <kiers@original.xs4all.nl>
From: Stephen Borrill <netbsd@precedence.co.uk>
List: current-users
Date: 11/10/2003 16:22:18
On Mon, 10 Nov 2003, Bert Kiers wrote:
> > I have
> >
> > st0 at atapibus0 drive 1: <HP      COLORADO 5GB, US04090639, 2.01000> type 1 sequential removable
> > st0: drive empty
> > st0: 32-bit data port
> > st0: drive supports PIO mode 4, DMA mode 2
> > pciide0: secondary channel interrupting at irq 15
> > st0(pciide0:1:1): using PIO mode 4, DMA mode 2 (using DMA data transfers)
> >
> > on
> >
> > NetBSD cuddle 1.6.2_RC1 NetBSD 1.6.2_RC1 (CUDDLE) #5: Sun Nov  9 17:37:48 CET 2003     kiers@cuddle:/usr/src/sys/arch/i386/compile/CUDDLE i386
> >
> > and it just works.
>
> No, it does not. It behaves exactly as you describe in the two mail
> references. (Was working from memory in the previous mail, sorry).

Interesting. It's a different make (HP vs Seagate). I presume it's also
not a current model given its capacity. I guess this points at a general
problem with ATAPI tape drives which is as I suspected.

I've currently got a redundant, new 20/40 ATAPI Travan which I got for a
customer which I think I'm going to have to replace with a SCSI DAT for
free. :-(

--
Stephen