Subject: Re: Anyone else having trouble building pango with current? + KDE3
To: Frank Kardel <kardel@acm.org>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: current-users
Date: 11/10/2003 00:50:36
On Mon, 10 Nov 2003, Frank Kardel wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 09, 2003 at 08:41:31PM -0600, Frederick Bruckman wrote:

> > I fell behind on email while re-building all packages, and reverted
> > your change before reading this thread. Sorry.

> > > I hate to report, that i didn't make any progress - i am back with the build dying in pango - sorry.
> >
> > I presume there's a reason why Xft2 depends on Xrender>=0.8.2. If
> > that's true, then the only thing for it, is to depend on 0.8.2
> > throughout.
> >

> I was able to build pango with the fix in my first eMail. As far as i see it
> we seem to have two issues here:
>         1) The Xrender package seems to be erratic when deciding which variant
>            (package buit or from /usr/X11R6) to pick. Possibly due to external
>            version requirements.
>         2) When the /usr/X11R6 version is chosen the buildlink step misses to
>            create the appropriate .la file in the buildlink directory.

I was able to work around that by editting libXft.la, to replace the
requirement of .../Xrender.la with -lXrender. However, this still
causes files to be linked with both libXrender's.

> All reports in this thread relate to build problems created by 2). Thus we should
> fix that issue first. pango builds with 0.8.3 (from /usr/X11R6) fine. I haven't
> run it yet but don't actually expect problems there.

"nm" shows that the package Xrender does have symbols not present
in the XFree86 4.3.0 one, so it's not unreasonable for a package to
insist on that one.

The real problem is that buildlink and libtool try to be way too
clever. No package depends on Xrender except indirectly through Xft2,
so all you'd like to do, is to add -lXft2 to the link command line,
and the shared library dependency would do the right thing.

Frederick