Subject: /dev/lp[ta]nN
To: NetBSD Current Users <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: current-users
Date: 11/04/2003 21:27:15
Greetings,

Is there anyone else out there with a braindead printer which insists
on the minor 64 bit being set or else they suffer absolutely abhorrent
behaviour?

I have a HP DeskJet 660Cse (read: free printer, so who am I to complain?)
which I was given help on last time I asked about it, and I haven't
forgotten the trick, which was to make sure I used the polling
do-not-initialise device (i.e. 128|64, or 192 ... plus the unit number).

Given that there are devices which need this, would it not be proper
to include them in MAKEDEV as, say, /dev/lptn0 and /dev/lpan0 (for
example) with the proper bits set?

[also, the acpi printer device does not appear to work properly with
 this printer, but that's because it's showing up as lpt3, and I haven't
 tinkered properly with it.]

				--*greywolf;
--
NetBSD: Microsoft ask you where you want to go.  BSD gets you there.