Subject: ACPI warning
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Steve Woodford <scw@netbsd.org>
List: current-users
Date: 11/03/2003 08:41:03
Hi,

This is just a heads up for folks who are running acpi-enabled -current
on laptops for the first time.

Some laptop BIOSs, including my HP Omnibook, hand *complete* control of
thermal management (i.e. fan control) over to the OS if ACPI is
utilised; with no failsafe mechanism in hardware. This is a seriously
dumb hardware design decision, IMHO. But that's just how it is.

So, after enabling ACPI, I suggest checking if your laptop's fan still
operates as before. Mine certainly doesn't switch on at all with ACPI
in the kernel, so I've had to revert to non-ACPI rather than risk
frying the cpu. :(

Cheers, Steve