Subject: COMPAT_DARWIN status
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Emmanuel Dreyfus <manu@netbsd.org>
List: current-users
Date: 11/02/2003 12:09:52
Hi everybody

COMPAT_DARWIN is now able to run MacOS X's XDarwin (this is, the X
Window server for Darwin). The server is fully functionnal: display,
keyboard and mouse work.

Running Darwin has no interest in itself, but having it working ensures
that our IOKit (1) emulation is good enough to be used . The real target
now is MacOS X's WindowServer. WindowServer is like XDarwin for the
quartz displaying system, which is used natively by MacOS X
applications.

See the status page at http://hcpnet.free.fr/applebsd.html for more
informations.

(1) Most I/O on Darwin use the IOKit, which is an object-oriented driver
framework with nothing in common with usual UNIX I/O APIs. Just peek at
http://cvsweb.netbsd.org/bsdweb.cgi/src/sys/compat/mach if you need to
be convinced it is a strange world.

--
Emmanuel Dreyfus
Il y a 10 sortes de personnes dans le monde: ceux qui comprennent