Subject: problems with 1.6ZE
To: Current Users <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Jukka Marin <jmarin@embedtronics.fi>
List: current-users
Date: 10/31/2003 16:32:51
Hi,

I just tried a 1.6ZE kernel on my TP A31p.  I have three problems:

dd'ing a disk image onto a CF card does not work reliably.  I copy the
image like this:

# dd if=foo.img of=/dev/rwd1d bs=1m progress=1

The command completes OK, but if I fsck the CF card, I get:

# fsck -f /dev/rwd1a
** /dev/rwd1a
BAD SUPER BLOCK: VALUES IN SUPER BLOCK DISAGREE WITH THOSE IN FIRST ALTERNATE

LOOK FOR ALTERNATE SUPERBLOCKS? [yn] n

The same card and same image works OK on an HP laptop.  A different CF
card works OK on the HP _and_ my laptop.  Both cards are Kingston 128 MB
cards.  The ones that do now work are a bit newer:

wd1 at atabus2 drive 0: <SAMSUNG CF/ATA>
wd1: drive supports 4-sector PIO transfers, LBA addressing
wd1: 124 MB, 496 cyl, 16 head, 32 sec, 512 bytes/sect x 253952 sectors

The older cards look like this:

wd1 at atabus2 drive 0: <TOSHIBA THNCF128MMA>
wd1: drive supports 1-sector PIO transfers, LBA addressing
wd1: 122 MB, 978 cyl, 8 head, 32 sec, 512 bytes/sect x 250368 sectors

The problem existed with an older kernel (1.6W) as well.

The second problem: A Creative digicam shows up as an USB mass storage
device, but I can't run disklabel or mount:

umass0 at uhub1 port 1 configuration 1 interface 0
umass0: Creative Technology Ltd. Creative PC-CAM 880, rev 1.00/1.00, addr 2
umass0: using ATAPI over Bulk-Only
atapibus1 at umass0: 2 targets
sd0 at atapibus1 drive 0: <Creative, PC-CAM 880, 1.00> disk removable
sd0(umass0:0:0): readonly device
sd0: drive offline

# mount /sd
mount_msdos: /dev/sd0e on /sd: Read-only file system
# disklabel -r sd0
disklabel: /dev/rsd0d: Read-only file system

This problem also existed in 1.6W, only the "sd0: drive offline" message
is new (I believe).

The third problem: I am getting lots of these:
auich0: fifo underrun # 1
auich0: fifo underrun # 2
auich0: fifo underrun # 3
auich0: fifo underrun # 4
auich0: fifo underrun # 5
auich0: fifo underrun # 6

A bonus problem: When I switch from X to wscons, the text is almost black
on a black background.  I'm running XFree built from XFree sources, I'll
try the NetBSD version soon.

  -jm