Subject: Re: build breaks w/ read-only sources
To: William Allen Simpson <wsimpson@greendragon.com>
From: James Chacon <jmc@NetBSD.org>
List: current-users
Date: 10/29/2003 16:17:00
On Wed, Oct 29, 2003 at 05:01:25PM -0500, William Allen Simpson wrote:
> David Young wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, Oct 29, 2003 at 11:02:37AM -0600, David Young wrote:
> > > Building w/ read-only sources breaks while building the tools.
> > > Should that be echo /u1/dyoung/scratch-cuw/T > ${OBJDIR}/PREVIOUSTOOLDIR ?
> >
> > I think that the problem was that I was using ./build.sh -O objdir -o,
> > but my objdir was empty. I am surprised that the build does not bomb
> > the first time it tries to cd to a missing objdir.
> >
> I wish that -O would mkdir the objdir when it doesn't exist.  That was
> always a problem with 'make build', after rm'ing an old objdir and
> forgetting to mkdir a new one (or forgetting on a new install), the src
> tree got polluted.

It does by default. Unless you specify -o.

From build.sh:

    -o          Set MKOBJDIRS=no (do not create objdirs at start of build)

That's there for people who want the speedup during a build to not
run through the tree checking all objdirs.

> I thought that -T will mkdir the tooldir?  Consistency would be nice.

The script is only so smart from people shooting themselves in the foot.

James