Subject: Re: OK, what's going on with my nfs?
To: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
From: Hisashi T Fujinaka <htodd@twofifty.com>
List: current-users
Date: 10/29/2003 09:27:08
On Wed, 29 Oct 2003, Perry E. Metzger wrote:

> Hisashi T Fujinaka <htodd@twofifty.com> writes:

> > > man 3 sysctl
> >
> > I already looked there and didn't see any description.
>
>              ip6.v6only
>                      The variable specifies initial value for IPV6_V6ONLY
>                      socket option for AF_INET6 socket.  Please refer to
>                      ip6(4) for detail.
>
> The ip6 man page describes in more detail:
>
>      IPV6_V6ONLY controls behavior of AF_INET6 wildcard listening socket.  The
>      following example sets the option to 1:
>
>            int on = 1;
>            setsockopt(s, IPPROTO_IPV6, IPV6_V6ONLY, &on, sizeof(on));
>
>      If set to 1, AF_INET6 wildcard listening socket will accept IPv6 traffic
>      only.  If set to 0, it will accept IPv4 traffic as well, as if it was
>      from IPv4 mapped address like ::ffff:10.1.1.1.  Note that if you set it
>      this to 0, IPv4 access control gets much more complicated.  For example,
>      even if you have no listening AF_INET listening socket on port X, you
>      will end up accepting IPv4 traffic by AF_INET6 listening socket on the
>      same port.  The default value for this flag is copied at socket instanti-
>      ation time, from net.inet6.ip6.v6only sysctl(3) variable.  The option
>      affects TCP and UDP sockets only.

Thank you! I would have never thought to go to the ip6 man page. And
dumb me, I think I was looking on a system (more than one netbsd system)
that had old man pages.

> > > Does the NFS problem go away if you change the sysctl back to the
> > > old value?
> >
> > Yes. I enjoy poking around blindly to fix things. :)
>
> Okay, that's bad. File a PR saying that the change broke NFS.

Will do, once I figure out what it is breaking. (one of the daemons nfs
depends on isn't coming up.)

--
Hisashi T Fujinaka - htodd@twofifty.com