Subject: Samba server won't receive big files
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Arto Huusko <armihu@utu.fi>
List: current-users
Date: 10/28/2003 11:01:56
Hi,

I have a big problem with running Samba on -current 1.6ZC. When I try
to move big files (say >150Mb) from a W2K client to the server, the
client apparently attempts to start the transfer, but gives up after
sometime and claims that "the share is not usable" or something
like that.

The problem is that the Samba server does something stupid before
it starts receiving the file. Apparenlty it tries to reserve enough
space for the file first, that is (my guess): it mmaps the target
file completely.

For some strange reason this operation takes forever (and also
very very noticeably slows down the whole machine), and the
client gets frustrated and aborts the transfer. This also leaves
a file of correct size and name, but full of zeroes, to the server.

Now, I'd like to know what goes wrong here. Is the UBC to blame?
Can I fix this somehow?

I just think something is badly broken if I can't transfer a 200Mb
file to a machine with half a gig of mem, too much harddrive space and
a 2GHz processor, but I *can* transfer the same file to another
machine with 64Mb mem and 70MHz processor. The obvious difference:
-current vs. 1.6.1_STABLE.