Subject: Re: i386 bootselector changes
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@NetBSD.org>
From: Robert Elz <kre@munnari.OZ.AU>
List: current-users
Date: 10/24/2003 02:11:04
    Date:        Thu, 23 Oct 2003 10:09:44 -0700
    From:        Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@NetBSD.org>

  | So is there any objection to putting F1-F4 back to partition choosing and
  | having 1-4 switch drives (swapping the current roles)?

I haven't had a chance to try the new one yet, but I am looking forward to it.

I really dislike the F1 selection model - not because of finding keys (though
on my laptop anyway the F keys are irritatingly small) but because various
BIOS functions like to take over the Fn keys (either the system BIOS, or some
PCI card add in BIOS) - which means that it is really important to wait
until the menu appears, or you end up in some place where you don't really
want to be (generally no harm, but intensely irritating).

Using the regular digits will avoid that - the worst that is likely from
pushing the key too early is that it might get ignored.

For sure, this is a change, and people who have been used to it (which includes
me) are going to have a period of disorientation, as with all changes.
But in this case, I think it is worth it.

kre