Subject: Re: i386 bootselector changes
To: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
From: Eric Haszlakiewicz <erh@jodi.nimenees.com>
List: current-users
Date: 10/23/2003 14:22:10
On Thu, Oct 23, 2003 at 10:09:44AM -0700, Bill Studenmund wrote:
> No, it's not less confusing. It's REALLY REALLY irritating. While
> factoring drive and os-on-drive into separate things is probaby good (and
> does achieve the "less confusing" you note above), the way it was done
> more than makes up for any improvement it might have been. Which is sad.
>
> There's a BIG usability difference between F1-F4 and 1-4. I and a number
> of other folks (I've asked around) find F1-F4 much easier to find on the
> keyboard than 1-4. Especially since we've had years of training from the
> older bootloader. :-)
	well, my knee jerk reaction here is "deal with it.  the keys are
only one row apart".  On the other hand, I can understand how annoying
it can be to have to change a old ingrained behaviour.  If switching
F1-F4 and 1-4 makes the common case now more similar to the common case
before, then I'd say go ahead.
	To give a clue to anyone that doesn't know about how it works, can we
add a prompt/status msg, or is there not enough room?

eric