Subject: Re: i386 bootxx_ffsv1
To: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>
List: current-users
Date: 10/22/2003 02:21:38
On Tue, 21 Oct 2003, David Laight wrote:

> Do you mean that bootxx_ffsv1 has just got fixed?
> And that the mbr code (or something else?) has just got broken?

The first stage bootstrap bootxx_ffsv1 seems to be working fine now
(as opposed to rebooting the machine), except that it says "Can't find
/boot". This could, potentially be because this is a USB mass storage
device instead of a hard disk, but I'm not about to try it on my hard
disk because it would render my home system unbootable. (The floppy
first-stage boot strap still causes the machine to reboot.)

> This can only be tracked down by someone with a failing machine (and
> a lot of patience).

Unfortunately, I have the machine, but not the patience to tweak the
bootstrap code. (Nor the knowledge, really, or at least I don't want
to regain it. :-)) I'm happy to try out new binaries from others, and
I'd go so far as to set up a serial console so all the messages would
be captured, if someone feels up to tweaking the code and sending me
binaries. I'd say it's critical we solve this before the 2.0 release,
but there's a fair amount of time before that, I think.

cjs
--
Curt Sampson  <cjs@cynic.net>   +81 90 7737 2974   http://www.NetBSD.org