Subject: Re: esoteric question: consistency of NetBSD CVS tree?
To: None <netbsd99@sudog.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
List: current-users
Date: 10/16/2003 15:10:52
--NKoe5XOeduwbEQHU

On Wed, Oct 15, 2003 at 04:31:14PM -0700, netbsd99@sudog.com wrote:
>=20
> Please see:
> http://cvsweb.netbsd.org/bsdweb.cgi/src/usr.bin/sed/
>=20
> Now take a peek in the Attic.
>=20
> Notice there are two Makefiles--one in the normal sed/ and one sitting=20
> in the Attic. When a new version is added to CVS, doesn't it resurrect=20
> the file from the Attic and begin adding new revisions to that=20
> resurrected file?
>=20
> How might this state come to exist? Did an older version of CVS not=20
> resurrect files from the Attic?

Chances are it's a bug in CVS. It has had issues with bringing files back=
=20
to life. I've specifically seen a different issue where the file in the=20
Attic becomes the live one, which causes no end of troubles.

> What is the correct interpretation of these two files? Is there one=20
> revisions 1.1 which is "authoritative" in this case, and one which=20
> "should" be ignored, or does the data in the Attic/Makefile,v have any=20
> further meaning?
>=20
> These kinds of inconsistencies are all over the place. Do they matter?
>=20
> Also, there are a pile of branch tags scattered around in the CVS tree=20
> that don't have any associated RCS revisions. How should that=20
> information be interpreted? For example:

Those revisions were probably zapped as part of cleaning the tree in=20
response to the AT&T/UCB Lawsuit. We retained commit comments but deleted=
=20
diffs for "tainted" code.

That's why we are now able to have CVSweb.

Take care,

Bill

--NKoe5XOeduwbEQHU

--NKoe5XOeduwbEQHU--