Subject: Re: Successful install of OpenOffice 1.1 release for linux
To: David Brownlee <abs@NetBSD.org>
From: Steven M. Bellovin <smb@research.att.com>
List: current-users
Date: 10/16/2003 10:58:35
In message <20031015205203.D2D447B43@berkshire.research.att.com>, "Steven M. Be
llovin" writes:
>In message <Pine.NEB.4.58.0310151543500.4799@iris.absd.org>, David Brownlee wr
>tes:
>>On Tue, 14 Oct 2003, George Michaelson wrote:
>>
>>> I just successfully installed the linux 1.1 release on i386 current, with a
>>> functional Linux /emul, including java.
>>>
>>[...]
>>>
>>> I think the port could be updated from 1.0.3 to 1.1.0 quite safely. I've cc
>'
>>> the port maintainer accordingly.
>>
>>	Do you know if it works on 1.6.x? Last time I tried a 1.1beta
>>	version it didn't like 1.6.1 - almost certainly requiring the
>>	better linux emulation available in -current.
>
>I'm running it successfully on 1.6.x, x > 1.  It didn't install for the
>multi-user configuration; I didn't bother figuring out why, since the
>machines concerned are all single user (i.e., me).  Memory sizes range
>from (I think) 256M to 512M.

Hmm -- I just upgraded my -current machine to last night's sources
(1.6ZD), and OpenOffice no longer works on that machine.  This is on a
256M machine.  It displays a bunch of the usual

	file_image_pagein: Function not implemented

messages, and then does nothing.  But it's in some sort of loop; it's
taking up all available CPU time, according to 'top'.

  UID   PID  PPID CPU PRI NI VSZ   RSS WCHAN STAT TT    TIME COMMAND
54047 15648 21820  36  64  0 452 12092 -     R+   p7 1:17.81 /usr/home/smb/Open