Subject: Re: ESS1879 sound issues
To: Holger Rasch <Holger.Rasch@Informatik.Uni-Oldenburg.DE>
From: None <aliver@xexil.com>
List: current-users
Date: 10/14/2003 22:59:49
On Tue, 14 Oct 2003, Holger Rasch wrote:
> From my Fujitsu Biblo B110 (also 233MMX Pentium, i.e., old) dmesg output:
>    ess0 at isa0 port 0x220-0x22f irq 5 drq 0 drq2 5
>    ess0: ESS Technology ES1879 [version 0x688b]
>    ess0: audio1 interrupting at irq 5

Hmm, this looks pretty much exactly like my configuration down to the same
IRQ and everything. However, I'm still unable to get mine configured by
the kernel. I did try isapnp first because the kernel reports the audio
device on isapnp0, but I'm not certain that this is the right way to do
it. I have also uncommenting the ess0 device on isa? in the GENERIC
kernel. However, I didn't comment out the original ess device. Should I be
doing this?

> Did you only try to use it via pnpbios? If I remember correctly that
> didn't work for my machine; I had to uncomment the ISA configuration,

Was that all you did (just uncomment the isa "ess0" device) ? I've tried
that and I still only this:

isapnp0: read port 0x203
isapnp0: <ESS ES1879 Plug and Play AudioD, ESS0009, , > port 0x800/8 not configured
isapnp0: <ESS ES1879 Plug and Play AudioD, ESS1879, , > port 0x220/16,0x388/4,0x330/2 irq 5 drq 1,0 not configured

Thanks for the help.

--

aliver