Subject: Re: resolver problems in -current?
To: Michael Graff <explorer@flame.org>
From: Sean Davis <dive@endersgame.net>
List: current-users
Date: 10/14/2003 05:19:39
On Mon, Oct 13, 2003 at 11:19:12AM -0700, Michael Graff wrote:
> Sean Davis <dive@endersgame.net> writes:
>
> > Yes, I'm using dnscache. Switching to an ISP's nameserver or
> > switching to BIND are non-options. So what is broken now that is
> > causing the resolver to lose when using dnscache? I realize that the
> > majority of NetBSD users I've ever spoken to hate DJBware in any
> > form, but some don't, and making the system incompatible with it is
> > a very bad thing to do. I assume it's unintentional, but it needs
> > fixing. I don't want to run on a september 19th userland forever
> > (and this also means I cannot update my netbsd-1-6 machine, since
> > the breakage has evidently made it onto that branch as well.)
>
> Speaking for myself, it is more of a question of who is violating the
> RFCs here.  If we are, we need to be fixed; if DJB is, he needs to be
> fixed.

I think we are, in this case, but as I do not feel like reading the RFC at
this hour (I just woke up) I'll leave with this parting point: It worked
before, It was changed, It stopped working. It's working again in -current.
And, above all, using a dnscache for a nameserver works in every OS I've ever
used, so I think it is us who are wrong, not DJB.

-Sean

--
/~\ The ASCII
/ \ Email!