Subject: Re: introducing ath(4) and the FreeBSD 802.11 layer
To: Jun-ichiro itojun Hagino <itojun@itojun.org>
From: Sam Leffler <sam@errno.com>
List: current-users
Date: 10/13/2003 21:27:00
On Monday 13 October 2003 04:55 pm, Jun-ichiro itojun Hagino wrote:
> > I have just committed my port of FreeBSD's Atheros chipset driver,
> > ath(4). The driver supports 802.11a/b/g multimode cards made by
> > manufacturers such as D-Link and Linksys. Virtually every 802.11a radio
> > manufactured today contains the Atheros chipset.
>
> 	thanks for the great work!  any plans on ath at cardbus? (or does
> 	"ath on pci" cover cardbus?)  IBM thinkpads use minipci atheros cards
> 	and it will be probed on cardbus. (i need to open it up and test
> 	to be sure)  wi* card on the same minipci slot is probed as below.

ath on pci should cover cardbus (does on FreeBSD at least).  Thinkpads w/
minipci mostly work; there are some issues.  Some have an rfkill switch that
needs some support in the driver that isn't present yet.  Also, some machines
use different PCI device id's and some BIOS support in an effort to force
only "approved drivers" to work with the cards.  We're working out this issue
too.

If you sift the mailing lists for the madwifi project at sourceforge you can
pickup some useful stuff in this area...

	Sam