Subject: Re: Two observations.
To: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
From: Richard Rauch <rkr@olib.org>
List: current-users
Date: 10/13/2003 06:00:42
On Mon, Oct 13, 2003 at 11:23:17AM +0100, David Laight wrote:
> Did you do 'install' or 'upgrade'?
> Doing an overlay 'install' (ie without any mkfs) might work better!

Since I went from CD for two versions of -current over a short span of
time (and didn't use the system much between), I can't say for certain,
anymore.

I probably did an "upgrade" since I had an /etc.old at some point.

> >  * I have non-standard partitioning on my laptop.  I didn't want to recreate
> >    it, so I went with "use existing" (I think that this was during an
> >    install; during a merge of /etc after an initial install, I botched
> >    something and decided just to re-install and restore /etc from backup).
>
> The way /etc is handled is broken!

I wasn't relying on much by way of automation.  The first time around, I just
did an "update" from the burned CD, and was quasi-manually merging via
"diff".  Most files were unchanged, or varied only by my configuration
changes.  A few were new.

This seemed like not a bad idea, since it helped alert me to changes.

However, when you're tired, it's not so hard to botch this.  (^&  That
leads to deriding the computer's lineage and threatening its power cord.

I am beginning to believe that I should set up a DHCP server to
simplify system upgrades for those times when I don't have a pre-update/
pre-upgrade version of /etc from which to get network configurations...

> >    The sysinst tool apparently did NOT mount /dev/wd0a, and instead
> >    quickly filled up the /mnt *directory* (on ramdisk?), producing a
> >    stream of errors.
>
> mmm which version of sysinst were you running?
> /dev/wd0a should (now) have been mounted of /targetroot
> Anything that assumes /mnt needs fixing.

Whatever I got from building -current to "release" and then "sets".

The only things that didn't come from the build were the X sets.

The first time, it might have been from as far back as sometime in
early September.

The second time, I had done a "cvs update -PAd" around October 10
(maybe a little before) and a "make clean" before attempting to
build.

> >    I killed the process, cleaned up the the files, restarted the
> >    install, but used ^Z to suspend, and manually mounted, just before
> >    sysinst began to unpack.  Everything seemed okay, then.
> >
> >    There wast at least one other sysinst oddity, though.  I asked
> >    it *not* to install the etc.tgz.  It still moved my old /etc
> >    to /etc.old.
>
> That has to be the old sysinst.
> The one in 'current' only saves /etc if etc.tgz is requested.

In all cases?  I confess to not attempting to find and examine
the sysinst sources.  (^&