Subject: Re: Upgrade troubbles
To: William Allen Simpson <wsimpson@greendragon.com>
From: Olivier Cherrier <oc@karedas.cediti.be>
List: current-users
Date: 10/08/2003 16:20:27
On Wed, Oct 08, 2003 at 10:02:18AM -0400, wsimpson@greendragon.com wrote:
> I have to agree, OpenBSD is/was easier and better documented.

Yes, I think so.

> I came back to NetBSD last year about this time, with the release of
> 1.6, and promptly tried to upgrade 1.6 to -current on a test machine.
> It took a fair amount of help....  (Thanks Perry and Niels!)
>
> Admittedly, build.sh was really improved a lot in December/January.
>
> Some months ago, I tried to help update the NetBSD documentation, but
> the PR has never been committed.

Humm, strange!

> So far, the best (undocumented) method has turned out to be (off the
> top of my head from memory):
>
>   ftp://releng.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD-daily/current/
>
>   FTP a release into your favorite directory (assuming /root) that's
>   about a week old and nobody complained about on this list, say
>   cd 200309280000/i386/binary/sets/
>   mget *.tgz
>   quit
>
>   tar -zxpf kern-GENERIC.tgz
>   cd /
>   mv /netbsd /netbsd.old
>   mv /root/netbsd /netbsd
>   tar -zxpf /root/base.tgz
>   tar -zxpf /root/comp.tgz
>   ... (as many more as you like, just base and comp are essential)
>   reboot

OK, I see.
Yes, this method is in fact an half source upgrade.

> After that, the build.sh process will work a lot better.

Effectively it should work far more better since the delta between builder
system and -current sources is very small.

> And build.sh install=/ will also walk you through postinstall and
> etcupdate, both of which have improved dramatically in the past year.

These tools are new for me... I'll look at them when the system is up
to date.

Thanks a lot for sharing your experience and advices.
Greetings.

--
oc - oc@karedas.cediti.be