Subject: Re: request for guidance
To: William Allen Simpson <wsimpson@greendragon.com>
From: Steven M. Bellovin <smb@research.att.com>
List: current-users
Date: 09/29/2003 16:09:13
In message <3F788B77.CDC51554@greendragon.com>, William Allen Simpson writes:

>Harumph.  Faster systems are for production, slower leftovers are for
>development!  (you're right, there is a lot of bloat.)

Back in the mists of time, I worked in a place where (of necessity) the
local staff could have had far better access than the users --
coax-connected IBM 3270s vs. 1200 bps dialups or 9600 bps serial via
remote muxes.  Management instituted a rule that the developers were
not allowed to use anything better than 9600 bps serial terminals, just
to make sure that what they built was useable in that environment.