Subject: Re: Inspiron 5000e Unexpected Poweroff
To: Simon Burge <simonb@wasabisystems.com>
From: Bryan Vyhmeister <netbsd@hub3.net>
List: current-users
Date: 09/26/2003 10:27:03
On Fri, Sep 26, 2003 at 11:58:19PM +1000, Simon Burge wrote:
> Bryan Vyhmeister wrote:
>
> > I am running NetBSD 1.6ZC from 9/19/2003 on a Dell Inspiron 5000e. If I
> > leave the laptop on overnight or for several hours it seems that it is
> > always powered off when I come back. When I then boot it up, it is
> > apparent that it just shut off because all the filesystems are dirty and
> > fsck must be run. Could this be an issue with NetBSD or is it just a
> > hardware issue? Any ideas? Thank you for your time.
>
> I've had this happen on-and-off over the last couple of months, and just
> now half an hour ago (which reminded me to reply to your message).  I
> think it's only happened once when its been plugged in to the mains.

That's interesting. I have only had it happen when I was not there and
when it was connected to AC power.

> I usually use two batteries, and I noticed this time after a reboot that
> xbattbar said that the battery status was roughly half full, and my
> hacked up apm(1) said one battery way 96% and the other 2%.  I wonder
> if it's something to do with how it does the battery switch over.  It's
> certainly an intermittent problem - I usually run both batteries right
> down before plugging back in to mains.

I suspected my battery was part of the issue because it was only holding
about a ten minute charge. I just got a new battery and I have not had
the problem since. I have also only had it happen when running X.
Initially, I installed 1.6X from around 08/29/2003 on the 5000e. When I
upgraded to 1.6ZC, I initially left the X installation that I had built
on 1.6X. Right about the time the new battery came (09/22/2003), I also
built X on 1.6ZC and installed that. Since both the new battery and
matching X, I have not had the problem. I have noticed that people have
been having some trouble with X lately but I don't know if that is
related.

Bryan