Subject: Re: BSD Authentication
To: Simon J. Gerraty <sjg@crufty.net>
From: John Nemeth <jnemeth@victoria.tc.ca>
List: current-users
Date: 09/25/2003 04:19:16
On Jan 27, 12:29pm, "Simon J. Gerraty" wrote:
}
} As I mentioned before, I think it would be cool to have a libbsdauth
} (and a libpam) - so that apps that expect to use those api's
} directly/fully "just can".  Our implementation of those libs will
} likely need to deal with nsswitch etc, but I'd hope that that level of
} functionality should be easy to provide.

     Why?  nsswitch is really orthogonal to PAM and BSD Auth.  nsswitch
answers the question of what happens when an application uses
getpw*(3), getgr*(3), etc.  PAM and BSD Auth are strictly for
authenticating users.  The two technologies are complementary, but
neither one strictly depends on the other.

}-- End of excerpt from "Simon J. Gerraty"