Subject: Re: ffsv2 bootblock install?
To: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
From: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
List: current-users
Date: 09/24/2003 22:20:24
On Wed, Sep 24, 2003 at 08:54:00PM +0000, Greywolf wrote:
> Okay, I must have missed something, here.
>
> Just upgraded.  Root fs is ffsv2.  Why?  FIIK -- it seemed a good thing
> to do.  It certainly seems to check/build faster than ffsv1, but that
> could just be me.

I think it is just you.
ffsv2 lets you have > 2^31 fragments in a filesystem, but otherwise
just increases the size of all the red tape.
You are still limited to 2^31 inodes, and ffsv1 supports > 2^31 sectors.
fsck should be faster for ffsv1 (because the metadata is smaller).

> installboot's semantics have changed mightily since the last time
> I had need to run it, and the manpage is less than enlightening
> since it doesn't indicate which secondary bootblock is required for,
> e.g., ffsv2.
>
> I ran:
> 	installboot /dev/rwd2a /usr/mdec/bootxx_ffsv2 /usr/mdec/biosboot
>
> which ran, but now, when I boot, I get (forgive my faulty non-ECC memory):
>
>   Invalid bootblock for fstype
> 	(or is it "invalid fstype for bootblock: ffsv2"?)

I don't remember writing that error message!
You might have got:
	Invalid /boot file format.

What you neet to do is:
# installboot /dev/rwd2a /usr/mdec/bootxx_ffsv2
# cp /usr/mdec/biosboot /boot

The MI installboot doesn't attempt to mount the boot filesystem.

	David

--
David Laight: david@l8s.co.uk