Subject: Re: fsck with large file systems
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Chuck Yerkes <chuck+nbsd@2003.snew.com>
List: current-users
Date: 09/22/2003 20:09:52
Quoting Martti Kuparinen (martti.kuparinen@iki.fi):
> Hi!
>
> I have a new home server running -current (1 GHz Mini-ITX,
> 2 x 120 GB, RAID-1 for everything) with a large /home (110 GB)
> for personal files, movies, photos etc. We recently had an
> unscheduled 20 min power outage in our house so the server
> went down without first umounting the file systems.
>
> When the power was restored the server booted and started to
> check the file systems with fsck. fsck on /home took a very
> long time (over 20 minutes) to complete so the server was
> unaccessible during that time.
>
> My question is: Are there any plans to implement background
> check or anything similar?

1) A UPS is your friend and is fairly cheap.
2) After a crash, I certainly got used to my Sun 4s spending 45
   minutes fsck'ing the 12 disks it had.  An early "win" I had
   in that env was reconfiguring fstab to run concurrent fscks
   and got it DOWN to 20 minutes.  There was much rejoicing.
     And yes, I get cranky at long fsck's myself, but I offer
   this as perspective.  120GB is a lot of files and data.

3) 120 GB is not "large" at this point.  That's half of a disk
   from $LocalComputerStore if I want.  1 Petabyte is "large"

3a) FFS2 was written to address large file and file system issues.
    It has background fsck's (via snapshotting).  This is good.