Subject: Re: Raising maxproc soft limit
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Bang Jun-Young <junyoung@netbsd.org>
List: current-users
Date: 09/22/2003 13:04:29
On Sun, Sep 21, 2003 at 06:22:57PM +0200, Christian Biere wrote:
> Bang Jun-Young <junyoung@netbsd.org> wrote:
>
> > How can I raise maxproc soft limit which is set to only 160 on my
> > machine? I need to clone thousands of processes, but I could only run
> > as many processes as the proc.curproc.rlimit.maxproc.soft allows.
>
> You need to fix the limit for the shell as well. Look for ulimit in
> your manpage of your shell.

ulimit -u worked like a champ. Thanks.

However, I couldn't run more than 4085 processes at a time. I raised
maxusers in kernel config file to 1000, and then 2000, but the hard
limit didn't change at all.

Also I'm wondering why I got the following warning:

$ config KRISHNA
KRISHNA:27: warning: maxusers (1000) > 128

Does that imply that NetBSD doesn't scale well enough to serve hundreds
of users on a single machine, or something merely to give user a hint
that there might a mistake w.r.t configuration?

Jun-Young

--
Bang Jun-Young <junyoung@NetBSD.org>