Subject: fsck with large file systems
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Martti Kuparinen <martti.kuparinen@iki.fi>
List: current-users
Date: 09/21/2003 13:17:04
Hi!

I have a new home server running -current (1 GHz Mini-ITX,
2 x 120 GB, RAID-1 for everything) with a large /home (110 GB)
for personal files, movies, photos etc. We recently had an
unscheduled 20 min power outage in our house so the server
went down without first umounting the file systems.

When the power was restored the server booted and started to
check the file systems with fsck. fsck on /home took a very
long time (over 20 minutes) to complete so the server was
unaccessible during that time.

My question is: Are there any plans to implement background
check or anything similar?

PS. I finally figured out how to boot directly from RAID-1
so I'll update my howto at
http://www.piuha.net/~martti/bsd/raid/raid.html when I have
some free time.

Martti