Subject: Re: today's openssh version 3.7
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Geoff Wing <mason@primenet.com.au>
List: current-users
Date: 09/19/2003 10:43:47
Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com> typed:
: On Fri, Sep 19, 2003 at 12:59:51AM -0400, William Allen Simpson wrote:
:> Presumably, since I'm connected to Internet II, it's not connection
:> speed that took the CVS so long each time ;-)
:>
:> Presumably, that was due to heavy load on the CVS servers :-(
:
: Not Bloody Likely.  I've checked out six times since yesterday morning,

Yes, likely!  After the OpenSSH update, I had many CVS failures, either
through SSH timeouts or CVS 'too many connection' failures.  All my failures
were because Thor Lancelot Simon was hogging all the connections (well, maybe
not).  Either that or because we didn't donate enough when the new anoncvs
machines were bought.  Hmm, TJLS, it must be your fault!  :-)  Ha!

TJLS wrote:
: one of which was a full checkout from scratch.  Not a single one of
: those CVS operations (all from anoncvs) took me more than 20 minutes.

It was fine for me too . . . once I could connect.  But people on slower
machines cause time delays for other people.  So . . . patience is the
order of the day.

From: William Allen Simpson <wsimpson@greendragon.com>
:Then, you have 1,000 (10,000? 100,000?) folks like me waiting about 14
:hours for `cvs up`, compiling -current, discovering that the build fails,

Yes, but how much at each stage?

On a i386 P4 2.0GHz it takes just over an hour for a near full build (I
don't build sendmail or postfix).

Regards,
--
Geoff Wing : <gcw@pobox.com>