Subject: Re: today's openssh version 3.7
To: William Allen Simpson <wsimpson@greendragon.com>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
List: current-users
Date: 09/18/2003 13:29:34
William Allen Simpson <wsimpson@greendragon.com> writes:
> This bothers me.  As noted earlier, this means that 2 different code
> bases need to be checked and maintained -- problem enough in a volunteer
> project with limited person-hours, but for a security protocol, it seems
> incredibly suspect!

As has been noted, the issue is that pkgsrc is used extensively by
people on Mac OS X, Solaris, Linux and other platforms. OpenSSH is in
pkgsrc largely for the benefit of people on those hosts. OpenSSH is also
integrated into the base NetBSD system.

pkgsrc is very much a separate world from the base NetBSD code. It has
a different build system designed for dealing with third party
packages and somewhat different goals (given its multiplatform
nature).

I agree that the current packaging of the base system, especially for
handling things like upgrades and security fixes, is woefully
inadequate, but that's another story entirely.

Perry