Subject: Re: today's openssh version 3.7
To: William Allen Simpson <wsimpson@greendragon.com>
From: Eric Haszlakiewicz <erh@nimenees.com>
List: current-users
Date: 09/17/2003 10:51:44
On Wed, Sep 17, 2003 at 09:24:40AM -0400, William Allen Simpson wrote:
> Why yes, since sshd is part of the base install, of course!
>
> Surely the package maintainers *know* that ssh belongs in the base....
>
> Surely the package and the /usr/src correspond with great exactness.
>
> (OK, OK, that last is sarcasm, it bothers me that things have to be
> maintained in 2 places, by hand!  As I posted earlier, I'd no idea that
> OpenSSH was still a package, since it is part of the base.  Maybe ssh
> could be the poster child for moving toward a package system for most
> of the OS utilities?)
	well, setting up syspkgs works just fine, if you know what you're
doing (i.e. how to run regpkgset).  Unfortunately:
	1) it doesn't get installed/updated by default
	2) Even when it is installed, the names of the system packages and
		the pkgsrc packages are completely different so they won't
		conflict.
The second could be fixed fairly easily, by adding a couple conflicts lines
to the pkgsrc package and to the syspkg.
However, IMO, syspkgs still needs some work before it can be enabled by
default.

eric