Subject: Re: gnu/dist/gettext/src is *very* old
To: George Michaelson <ggm@apnic.net>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: current-users
Date: 09/17/2003 08:16:11
On Wed, 17 Sep 2003, George Michaelson wrote:

> the msgfmt version in NetBSD is from 2000. this is under gnu/dist/gettext/src.

I guess you're asking that the base system gettext be upgraded. I
second that.

> I've got a po/zh_TW.Big5 instance for sylpheed-claws which won't compile with
> this version.
>
> (no biggie, I disable that language, but since gnu gettext is now 0.12.1 release
> date of 2003-09-10...)
>
> The pkgsrc version is 0.11.5 btw.

The gettext in pkgsrc is very problematic. You can't install the
binaries without also installing libintl, and having two different
versions of libintl installed is a train wreck, what with all the
packages that pull it in both directly, via -lintl, and indirectly,
via shared library dependencies. Therefore, I would like to see the
base gettext upgraded, so that no one has to install the gettext-lib
package on NetBSD 2.0.

Frederick