Subject: Re: /etc/rc.d scripts and $PATH
To: NetBSD-current Discussion List <current-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: current-users
Date: 09/16/2003 11:44:56
Thus spake Greg A. Woods ("GAW> ") sometime Today...

GAW> When I looked closely at the one value I really liked having inherited
GAW> most I realized it was perhaps the most dangerous one of all:  $ENV

"Dangerous to your starfleet, Commander, NOT to this Battle Station!" :-)

[to each their own; I exercise personal responsibility as each case
permits, which means that I, and -not my OS-, is responsible for
this sort of security/insecurity.  That said, if there's a flag to alter
the behaviour, great, but I personally find the typical non-BSD behaviour
of 'su' to be completely out of line.  That, though, is the result of
having been "born and raised" on BSD :-).]

MINOR nit:  ENV is only going to be a problem if your scripts end up using
it; since most scripts on the system are sh and not ksh, this should not
be an issue.  If you've changed this, then by your own procedure of
unsetting/ignoring ENV, you've successfully taken responsibility for your
problem -- Problem Solved!  Next?

				--*greywolf;
--
NetBSD: daemonic power.