Subject: Re: /etc/rc.d scripts and $PATH
To: NetBSD-current Discussion List <current-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: current-users
Date: 09/15/2003 16:36:21
Thus spake Greg A. Woods ("GAW> ") sometime Today...

GAW> After worrying more than once that my own account might get trojaned in
GAW> some way I might not notice so easily I've modified my copy of 'su' so
GAW> that it never preserves any environment and I've re-learned how to type
GAW> ". /root/.profile" after every time I 'su'.  :-)

Wow.

It appears to me that perhaps 'su' needs an option for discarding the
environment without the 'login' condition.

Me, I like having some things inherited; I realise one's mileage may
vary.  The option should be there.  Which flag shall we use? :-)

				--*greywolf;
--
Instead of asking why a piece of software is using "1970s technology",
start asking why software is ignoring 30 years of accumulated wisdom.