Subject: Re: wi woes
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Eric Haszlakiewicz <erh@nimenees.com>
List: current-users
Date: 09/12/2003 19:30:10
On Fri, Sep 12, 2003 at 03:25:09PM -0500, David Young wrote:
> > When this happens the card hangs for a while.  Recently (since the
> > last reboot, no kernel change (1.6W, Aug 13)), it has stopped with
> > the messages, but still hangs.  Running an "ifconfig wi0 down up"
> > seems to get it back up faster, but the 'up' part of that ifconfig
> > take a while to run (a few seconds, vs instant for e.g. wm0)
> > 	I've since updated to 1.6Z, with no change in behavior.
>
> Please send output from 'ifconfig wi0'.
wi0: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,NOTRAILERS,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
        nwid default nwkey xxxxx
        powersave off
        bssid 00:40:05:b2:ab:41 chan 6
        address: 00:09:5b:40:b7:de
        media: IEEE802.11 autoselect (DS11)
        status: active
        inet 172.16.10.60 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 172.16.10.255
        inet6 fe80::209:5bff:fe40:b7de%wi0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x1

> Also, please break into the debugger next time a hang occurs, and send
> me the stack trace.
>
> BTW, wi is in need of an overhaul where it does not busy loop while it
> waits for commands to complete. Instead it should tsleep() in the top
> half, or frob a state variable and return in the bottom half. That will
> end the annoying system pauses on PCI/PCMCIA wi and help us to add a
> USB front-end to wi.
	ah.. that explains why the whole machine hangs.  Makes it kind of
hard to get to ddb when you're in X.  Well, I'll see what I can do.

eric