Subject: Re: Dell PowerEdge 6300 boot hang with recent aic7xxx changes
To: Nicolas Joly <njoly@pasteur.fr>
From: Frank van der Linden <fvdl@netbsd.org>
List: current-users
Date: 09/12/2003 22:00:25
On Thu, Sep 11, 2003 at 02:05:40PM +0200, Nicolas Joly wrote:

> I just upgraded NetBSD -current (20030911) sources on a Dell PowerEdge
> 6300 with 4 processors, and noticed that GENERIC.MP kernel won't boot
> anymore. It hangs while trying to probe devices of the first Adaptec
> 7890 SCSI card.
>
> Some code was recently inactivated in aic7xxx_osm.c r1.11, which
> triggers my problem :
>
> [...]
> #if 0   /* This looks like it makes sense at first, but it can loop */
>         if ((xs->xs_control & XS_CTL_DISCOVERY) && (tinfo->goal.width == 0
>              && tinfo->goal.offset == 0
>              && tinfo->goal.ppr_options == 0)) {
>                 scb->flags |= SCB_NEGOTIATE;
>                 scb->hscb->control |= MK_MESSAGE;
>         } else
> #endif
> [...]
>
> Don't know if this is the correct solution but, if i put this small
> piece of code back, all goes fine.

Hm. I had to deactivate that piece of code, because it was causing
problems with PPR negotiation (with U320 drives) in the ahd driver,
which is very similar in structure.

When I tested the ahc driver, it still worked fine on my machines.
Maybe the change wasn't completely correct, and some recent
SCSI probe reshuffling exposed the problem.

Can you boot the kernel with the -v flag and mail me the output?

- Frank