Subject: Re: login.conf [was Re: BSD Authentication]
To: Gary Thorpe <gathorpe79@yahoo.com>
From: Eric Haszlakiewicz <erh@nimenees.com>
List: current-users
Date: 09/10/2003 21:12:11
On Wed, Sep 10, 2003 at 02:21:52PM -0400, Gary Thorpe wrote:
> user|default|Normal users:
> 	nologin=/var/run/nologin:\
> 	path=/bin /usr/bin /usr/pkg/bin /usr/local/bin:\
> 	requirehome:
> What I was trying to do is change where shutdown puts 'nologin' because
> / is mounted read-only and I wanted it to move to /var/run instead of
> /etc. From other posts it seems other things work with login.conf, but
> this particular feature doesn't seem to. I have used cap_mkdb, but what
> should the resulting file be named and where should it be (I think the
> file is /etc/login.conf.db for me)? Does this feature work in 1.6.x
> and/or current?
	this works fine for me, except:
1) su doesn't pay attention to any of this. (if you were testing with that)
    If you create the /var/run/nologin file by hand and use some other
	method to login it works as expected.  (e.g. login, ssh, etc...)
2) shutdown has no way to know where to create the nologin file.
    It doesn't work just for one class of users, but for the whole system.

so, either come up with some way to specify to shutdown where to put nologin,
or just recompile it with a different _PATH_NOLOGIN.

eric