Subject: Re: BSD Authentication
To: Peter Seebach <seebs@plethora.net>
From: Dr R.S. Brooks <R.S.Brooks@liverpool.ac.uk>
List: current-users
Date: 09/09/2003 10:57:00
On Mon, 8 Sep 2003, Peter Seebach wrote:

>In message <200309081948.h88JmDq19088@srapc342.sra.co.jp>, Noriyuki Soda writes
>:
>>	seebs@plethora.net (Peter Seebach) said:
>>> But then, in the cases where it's really the authentication client that
>>> needs to be eaccessible to the PAM module, this *won't work*.
>
>>Hmm, I cannot understand this sentence.
>>What do you mean here?
>
>I cannot see what is magic about screensavers.

Screensavers ONLY validate the password of the user who started them.
Everything else I can think of which validates passwords does it as a
prelude to becoming another user (usualy root -> non-root), and as a
result acquiring all that user's rights (and dropping all the rights
of the previous user).

Roger

Roger Brooks (Systems Programmer),          |  Email: R.S.Brooks@liv.ac.uk
Computing Services Dept,                    |  Tel:   +44 151 794 4441
The University of Liverpool,                |  Fax:   +44 151 794 4442
PO Box 147, Liverpool L69 3BX, UK           |