Subject: Re: BSDi features (was: PAM & Re: BSD Authentication)
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Peter Seebach <seebs@plethora.net>
List: current-users
Date: 09/08/2003 22:07:33
In message <20030909021710.GA22642@snew.com>, Chuck Yerkes writes:
>Quoting Peter Seebach (seebs@plethora.net):
>> In message <20030908233518.B59F07B43@berkshire.research.att.com>, "Steven M. B
>ellovin" writes:
>> The boot.default stuff, well, it's a fair bit of work, but MAN is it useful.
>> For those who have never seen it:
>>       * The boot loader loads a file called /etc/boot.default
>>       * It can also take commands entered by hand
>>       * Commands may pass parameters to the rest of the boot loader or
>>         the kernel

>Is this similar to openbsd's /etc/boot.conf?

>I've come to like that to boot over a serial port, all I have
>to do is change /etc/boot.conf, not boot with special boot blocks
>or anything fancy and huge.

Yes, very much like - it gets used for the same sorts of things.

I had a test system with
	-echo "About to switch to serial console..."
	-pause 5
	-console com 3f8 38400
which allowed me to interrupt it (and keep the VGA console) if I had
problems.

Very nice not to have to boot with special boot blocks.

-s